Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sauteed Kale

This week, I went back to the first place I ordered produce from, Newleaf Natural Grocery. When comparing Newleaf Natural to Door to Door Organics, you get so much more with New Leaf, so the decision was obvious for future orders. I picked up my box this week because the delivery wasn't going to arrive until later in the week. Although it was quite out of my way, it was actually very nice to see where my box is coming from and the business we are supporting.  It was worth my while in the end because they threw in an extra bunch of bananas - I'll be saving these for future banana breads!

Lettuce
Red Kale
Corn
Local Heirloom Tomatoes
Green Onions
Green Peppers
Oranges
Mango
Local Peaches
Local Apples
Bananas

Finally, I was going to be able to cook up a great kale dish. I have always wanted to, but have never actually purchased it. I have to say, it was AWESOME! It takes a while to cook down, but once it does its great. I wanted to make it more colorful so I added 1 of the heirloom tomatoes - the orange one. It's super easy to make and very healthy.

Sauteed Kale

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 pounds young kale, stems and leaves coarsely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water - I used chicken stock
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Directions:  Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the stock and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add vinegar. (I added the tomato for the last 5 minutes)


No comments:

Post a Comment