Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Bitty Local Box

This week I finally got back into ordering my box of goodies. I was excited to see that since my time away, Door to Door Organics - Chicago had created a new "Local Bitty Box." Just what I wanted, a way to ensure that all my produce was local. I have to admit, I did one switch so I could have some blueberries.  Other than that, all of the following is locally grown in the Chicago area:

Cucumbers
Collard Green Bunch
Slicer Tomato (large)
Eggplant
Yellow Squash
Green Bell Pepper
Blueberries
Zucchini

I didn't think I could be more excited (thanks to my box arriving), but then I found a new recipe that incorporated some of my box AND some of the produce I already had on hand (potato, yellow bell pepper, lemon) - major bonus. This recipe is one that will be around for my lifetime I'm sure. First off, it uses lemon. Currently I have about 5 lemons, down from a bag of 10 I purchased last week. It's my favorite fruit so whenever I can use it in a soup or entree, I am thrilled. Additionally, this recipe includes quinoa which I also always have on hand in the masses. I first learned of quinoa when Phil and I went to Peru in March 2009. Ever since then, I try to incorporate this super food into meals as much as possible.  Next, it's a soup which is my favorite food. Last, it uses so many different colors of vegetables which is great for not only health benefits but presentation. I am so excited to share this recipe!

Ecuadorean Quinoa and Vegetable Soup
(serves 4-6)
1/2 cup raw quinoa
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup diced potato
1 cup chopped red bell peppers or 1 cup green bell peppers - I used yellow 
1 teaspoon ground coriander - didn't have this but it still came out great!
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3 cups water or 3 cups vegetable stock - I used chicken stock
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup diced zucchini or 1 cup yellow squash
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 

Directions:


  1. Rinse the quinoa very well in a fine mesh strainer under running water; set aside to drain.
  2. Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
  3. Add in the onions and salt; cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes--stir every now and then.
  4. Add in the drained quinoa, potatoes, bell pepper, coriander, cumin, oregano, pepper, vegetable stock, and tomatoes; stir to combine.
  5. Cover and bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
  6. Add in the zucchini; cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
  7. Add in the lemon juice; stir to combine.
  8. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment