Friday, April 8, 2011

Coconut Curry Tofu


A beloved recipe shared by Melissa, coconut curry tofu, has quickly become a favorite of mine to make. After receiving tomatoes and green onions in my box, Bryan suggested I make this again for him, but with a little extra kick to it this time. Since I love anything with tofu and vegetables, of course I agreed. I added two and a half times the amount of chile paste, but overall followed the recipe exactly. The outcome was a dish so fragrant and spicy, I wish it was acceptable to eat my leftovers for breakfast. Served over brown rice, this was a one-dish meal that left us full and satisfied. (I always know it's a success when Bryan picks at the leftovers in the pan with a fork when I'm not looking.)


2 bunches green onions

1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk

1/4 cup soy sauce, divided

1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder

1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger

2 teaspoons chile paste

1 pound firm tofu, cut into 3/4 inch cubes

4 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped

1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced

4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped

1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

4 cups chopped bok choy

salt to taste


Directions

  1. Remove white parts of green onions, and finely chop. Chop greens into 2 inch pieces.
  2. In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, mix coconut milk, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, ginger, and chile paste. Bring to a boil.
  3. Stir tofu, tomatoes, yellow pepper, mushrooms, and finely chopped green onions into the skillet. Cover, and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in basil and bok choy. Season with salt and remaining soy sauce. Continue cooking 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but crisp. Garnish with remaining green onion.

-submitted from Allrecipes.com


1 comment:

  1. One of my all time favorites. This will turn anyone into a tofu eater!

    ReplyDelete